Tuesday, February 5

Carnaval




Hola Todos,

Well I had a blast this past weekend. Yisette and I went to "Carnaval" in La Vega on Sunday with our host parents. these are some pictures. There's guys that dress up in scary looking masks and go around the streets. Each group represents a different "Barrio" or pour neighborhood of the Dominican Republic. They'll take pictures with you and it's tradition for them to hit girls in the butt with their fabric-covered coconuts. I got hit 5 times! I even have a bruise now. Those things hurt! If you're not looking, they whap you in the butt. It was funny because I told my host mom to take a picture of me but she's really not technology savvy so it took 3 times to take a picture of me, but it was funny.


On Saturday I went to my friend Lentz's (lance) concert. It started at 9:30 SUPPOSIDLY. but naive lil natalie thought we were going by american time....no...we definitely waited there until it finally started at midnight! only 2 1/2 hours later...no biggie. lol. But it was fun. I definitely met his ex-girlfriend who doesn't really like me which made things really awkward. Oh well...awkward is life.


Claudia and I had our first real english teaching session with the kids at the orphanage. It was a little chaotic but I taught my first english lesson in spanish. Man, the skills I'm building now...we taught them "left" and "right". We are also teaching them about God and praying with them too. We're mixing catholicism and evangelic christianity.


Last night I told my host mom that my butt was kinda sore from the carnaval, and guess what she does!? she gets vapo-rub and brings it to my room. I'm all like, "Umm...I don't need that . Thanks though..." She was giving me butt cream!! lol! How the heck would vapo-rub help my butt feel better?! You tell me. Our lights went out last night 3 times in a row. They do that frequently but now my TV doesn't work. dang! i liked watching my latin music station. bummer!


Next weekend our group has it's next excursion to Jarabacoa and Carnaval. I'm really excited. there should be horses that we can ride. I hope I don't get hit in the butt again at Carnaval but probably will.


Ps-Judi, I would LOVE you to send me candy. i just found a place that sells starburst and had my first one here in the DR. but i miss skittles and swedish fish, and sour patch kids. i'm such a candy holic and they only have ONE place that sells only starburst.


ciao! -natalie


Prayer Requests:

1. I still need prayer that I can shine for God in a place with so much temptation

2. Teaching the kids will go well

3. That I take my mom's advice and I find things other than dancing to do for fun

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie--Your wish is my command! :-) I sent a candy package yesterday. :-) Hope it arrives by Valentine's Day. Since postage is pretty spendy, I figure they are the richest Skittles and Starbursts you'll ever consume. lol
Enjoy! :-) I sent them on 2/5/08, so look for them in about ten days, the post office says. Actually, vap-o-rub might feel good. Who knows? :-) Here's some advice: better say "bum" or "bottom bottom". :-) Grandma reads your blogs faithfully. lol
Love, Aunt Judi :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Natalie--

Grandma and I drove through your fine town this evening on our way home from visiting with Aunt Helen in Portland. We went to my absolute favorite place to eat--
Burgerville! :-) Can't beat their burger sauce and their milkshakes. :-)
Love you--Aunt Judi

Tal said...

lol butt cream???? And I thought the frenchies were crazy! Ha ha kid, you had me cracking up the entire way through. Can't wait to hear more. Ps, so apparently the DR is uncallable in France. Or atleast it sure seems that way! I've been jumping through hoops trying to find a way to call ya honey but the stupid french system just doesn't like me... Oh, and Luis is coming real soon, but Mom does have me kinda concerned since she said you haven't received any mail yet... just don't want anything to happen to our dear luis! praying for ya chica

Anonymous said...

I need your address so I cant send you vapo-butt cream haha, i love you nat!

Anonymous said...

oh, oops, that last comment was from me, michelle :) whats ur addy?