Monday, March 17

Different Perspective

Hola Todas,
How are you guys? Things here have been interesting. I've received several encouraging emails from lots of you. I wasn't doing too hot earlier. I've been feeling really spiritually empty, and Praise God my mom called me in a perfect time right when I needed to talk to her.

The orphanage has been really frustrating. Claudia and I have been going and every time the kids aren't ready. You guys would be flabergasted by how unorganized the school system is down here. We came and the kids were moving around mattresses and then when we FINALLY started 30 min late, they wouldn't listen to me, pay attention, and were really disrespectful. So, as a result we've had enough and told the kids that this is NOT acceptable and we're not going to come on wednesday as a result so they can see what they're missing out on. Tomorrow we're talking to the mom (senora) of the house and telling her these problems. She's half the problem because she gives the kids chores to do when she knows we're coming then. They're not learning anything and not even learning how to respect people either.

I can't believe I only have 5 1/2 weeks left. How weird! I've realized that I really love this country and really hate it at the same time. I hate their systems of doing things (esp education) because they don't value it. But I absolutely adore the music, how much this country celebrates even the smallest of things, and the fact that the world moves a lot slower down here. It's relieving for once not to be soooo busy with too many committments. I still don't enjoy the glares and rude looks I get from Dominican girls though. I still don't really have any dominican girl friends. oh well. it sucks but I just have to deal with the fact.

The other day I was sitting reading my Bible and journaling and I noticed several Haitians walking around the corner. but to my knowledge, NOTHING existed around the corner, only a lot of plants and nature. Well...I was curious and went around the corner and there was a little nature trail. So I followed it and low and behold I saw something I couldn't believe. In the middle of nowhere, some haitians had constructed a house out of cardboard boxes, sheets, and sticks. It was the poorest house I'd ever seen. I can't believe it exists behind these beautiful apartment buildings. It was as if two worlds were existing in the same place. I wish you guys could've seen it. I just couldn't believe that they had to live there. I wonder what they do when it rains...

so, i'm guessing the haitians definitely ate our cat. sad day lol. he has been missing for 3 1/2 weeks. don't expect him back anytime soon. Last weekend we went to the beach--Sosua. It was beautiful as usual and me and my friend robin shared a virgin pina colada in a pineapple. there was actually chunks of pineapple in it. it was DELICIOSO! Qué rico la bebida! (the drink tasted amazing). well I don't have much to say this time.

Ciao, Natalia

Prayer Requests:
1. That our meeting goes well with Rosa (the mom at the orphanage) tomorrow at 9:30am (6:30am for you guys)

2. temptation with boys (but praise God it's been getting better)

3. the kids at the orphanage would learn something or there would be some progress

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, Natalie. Here goes...A couple days ago, I got my first call to sub down in Coquille (morning kindergarten and Title I Math in the afternoon). I thought, "piece of cake". I was soooo excited, and Bob said to go for it. I had really been wanting to go back down and see everybody, etc. I don't think they expected me to say yes, since it's three hours away. Anyway, I was so excited, I woke up at 3 a.m. and had an hour to kill, so I put up a wallpaper border in my little "office". I got down there, visited with everyone (even though I taught at the middle school and high school--not grade school). Boy, what a crazy scene! I kid you not--sounded just like your orphanage scene. I'm a 32-year veteran teacher, and it was CRAZY!!! One totally dysfunctional boy (five years old) came barreling in the gym door, off the bus, and totally took down the entire line of little kindergartners, then he grabbed my Spiderman suitcase on wheels (that I explained would have their treats in them when they left that day if they were good) and started wheeling it all over the place. I asked these little twin girls if their mommy was "Casey" (I had had most of the parents as students a few years ago), and the little girl says, "Maybe she is, and maybe she isn't! Hmmm...Then another little girl pinched her finger as she tried to take a chair down and immediately went into a screaming hysterical state, etc, etc. I didn't know where the "marbles" and the "pennies" were (or why the teacher used them as rewards, so I said, "Nope--not gonna do that today. If you're good, you'll get an Easter treat when you leave". I have never seen such disorder! Hmm....maybe I won't be so desperate to sub again. Thank goodness Spring Break is this week. Ha! :-) I did get a good visit with the middle school and high school students and staff before I headed back home last night. One little boy got right up in my face and said, "I like your face. I like your hair. You're pretty". :-) Ahhh....

Anyway, hang in there! Happens to the best of us! I don't think I accomplished anything constructive--spent all my time trying to prevent murder, or World War III. :-) lol

Love, Aunt Judi

Anonymous said...

Oh yes--another funny thing with a couple little kids on the playground. One little girl was off by herself picking daisies--it was a pretty, sunny day. She mentioned something about "Heaven" and this little brown-haired white girl was closeby, along with her "brother" who was a black boy. ?? Anyway--they were siblings, I guess. So, they overheard the comment about "Heaven", and the little girl says, "My daddy's in Heaven". Then, right on her heels, the little boy says, "Yeah, he's in jail. When he's 62, he'll love us". Hmmm...not sure what that all meant, but it sounded kinda sad I thought.

another little girl was whining at lunch because her pizza "broke" and she wanted another piece. Another kid dropped his lunch tray because he had a glow-in-the dark cross with a Bible verse on it in his hands and he couldn't hold everything. Ahh, yes. :-) "Mama said there'd be days like this". :-)