Monday, January 14

La Isla Saona (Island Excursion)

Hola!
I had my first class this morn. It went pretty well. The prof is really nice and really funny too. I didn't know a spanish grammer class could be so fun, lol. He spoke really slowly which was a nice change.

This past weekend, our group (ISA) had our first excursion to the city La Romana and to the Island of Saona. I felt like I was on a movie. They had people there wanting to sell you massages, the sand was softer than ever, and the water was warm. It was my roommate (Yisette)'s first time swimming and so I got to teach her how to swim in the Carribean Sea!! We drank coke while swimming in the sea. They offered Rum n' Coke but I was a good girl and only had coke. Alcohol is EVERYWHERE here! Even on the boats! They call it "Cuba Libre" here for Rum n' Coke. Just in case you're all interested lol. While on the island, Robin, Katelyn, and I found the most exotic, big, and beautiful shells. Of course we picked them up and brought them home with us. They're my new decorations in my room.

For those of you who are Fox students, you'll appreciate this. Kaylie (I forgot her last name), but she's Ashley Sheller's old roommate is HERE in la Rep Dominicana!! I saw her this morn after my first class and I was all like, "Oh my gosh! What are you doing here?!?!" It automatically made me feel more at home. I'm excited to hang out with her. She's in another exchange program with PUCMM. (You pronounce my university like this: "pook-a-my-ma")

Well, I still am completely exhausted at times, for example last night. My whole body was fatigued, but praise God because the malaria pills haven't made me sick, and I haven't had any nightmares from them at all! what a miracle!

Wed, I'm going to buy a Dom cell phone and int'l minutes to call home. Sorry, since it's really expensive I can't call all of you. But once I get my cell phone #, I'll write it here and if you have an int'l phone card, you're welcome to call me if you want. Just remember, I'm 4 hours ahead of West Cost time. It's 10:45am right now, and 6:45am in Oregon.

Pues, tengo que irme (I have to go) ciao! -natalia

Prayer Requests:
1. My cell phone works and I'll FINALLY be able to call my parents
2. I can understand and not feel intimidated in my classes (confidence in asking Q's)
3. I'd be smart in who I hang out with (as far as dominican guys)

3 comments:

Joe Agbro said...

Hi, enjoyed surfing ur blog. went there actually cos i found Sometimes in April was also one of ur best movies. Hope ur spanish lesons is going on smoothly. Also, after readin gthrough ur stuff, you've fired my desire to pick up a foreign language; french. i just hope i can see it through to at least not feel awkward in some french setting. hey, keep blogging. that's also one resolution I made this month, but have not been able to drop someting down. well, Keep on..........

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your class went well today. Also, it's fun when familiar faces pop up in the most unfamiliar places! Your parents will be so happy when you are able to call them. I know they miss both you and Talia very much! Praying for you!
Love, Aunt Judi :-)

Anonymous said...

Whaddya mean, of course Spanish grammar classes are fun!
I love your blog and all your current culture shock IS SO NORMAL!

I'm so proud of you Nat for doing this, all on your own!

Profesora Berho