Thursday, January 31

The Orphanage

Hola Todas,
I hope you guys are doing well and not freezing to death in the States as I'm peeling from a sunburn lol. This week was packed full of stuff. The part I'm most excited for is my community service with the Orphanage. It's been a little tense because the system is way more relaxed down here but I like it. Claudia and I are going to be teaching 10 kids from ages 7-11 twice a week for 5 hours total. We met with the senora of the house and our profesor today and worked out a plan. It reminds me a lot of my park in Portland. But now I have the new struggle of learning spanish as the kids learn english. It's good though because that is my struggle whereas leading these activities is a comfort to me. But Claudia is the opposite. She's bilingual but struggles with leading the kids. I think we'll make a good pair. The house is freakin amazing!!! We actually get to teach them Bible lessons too!

Claudia and I are getting closer. We have 3 classes together and she's an amazing catholic girl. She really lives out her faith in such a real but different way then I'm used her. Her and I came up with the plan to have a weekly time with whomever wants to join to pray together, talk about our weeks, fellowship and eat together, and to pray together. We're going to take turns at different people's houses each time. I'm super excited! We start not tomorrow but the next Fri.

This weekend we're going to carnival with our host parents (sunday). I'm excited because we get to see where our host mom grew up and get to meet family. this should be interesting...lol.

You guys will all be happy to know I'm feeling more at home here. I'm getting more acustomed to the culture and I love it here. I still have some bad days--like are to be expected but the majority are good. It only took me a month...lol. One guy yelled at one of the girls in our program in english "Hey there pumpkin pie!" lol!!! Who says that?! I guess he's never been to the states to know that people don't say that. He was trying to mean it as a compliment but it was freakin hilarious. I've also become more comfortable with talking with Dominicans. Today I initiated conversation with a dom student that lives in my house, with a vendor, and other random people.

Ok, I know this is petty but I've been craving skittles or starburst or ANY fruity candy down here. NOBODY sells it. finally robin found a place that sells starburst and i must have looked all over the place but could not find it. I even walked 20 minutes to find it and no luck. sad day...pobrecita...Man, I'm pathetic.

So, God has been doing interesting stuff in my life recently. I'm finally able to see him start to work down here in me. He's been showing me a lot about my identity. I told you guys how hard it is to feel like I'll never fit in because of the color of my skin. Well, I learned in my class and as I was praying earlier that no matter where I am I will always be unique but that's ok. I need to be proud of where I come from because whether I like it or not, it's my heritage. God can use any culture to affect another in unique ways. I have also seen lots and lots of butterflies and if you know me really well you know why that's significant. Thanks steph for telling me that story about butterflies. I think about it everyday no joke.

One more thing. I'm not a baseball fan but omgosh this country LOVES their baseball! they're all fanatics! You should've seen how crazy they went in the streets until 4 or 5am after the Aguilas (santiago's home team) won the championship. wow! that's all I have to say...

Ciao! -natalie

Prayer Requests:
1. Details work out to meet with group for Christian encouragement/fellowship
2. I will apply myself when studying when it's not that difficult down here
3. For the 12 kids we're going to be working with
4. More confidence with spanish and being ok with the fact I'm american
5. That I'd be able to talk to my roommate more about the hope I have in my life with Jesus and also with my friend Casey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie, You have even encouraged my mother's heart with how well you are doing. Now that you are more comfortable just wait and see what God does with you and what He teaches you. I can't tell you enough how proud we are of you. Continue to stay close to God and serve Him with your choices and who you are. Love, mom

Anonymous said...

Hi, Natalie! Uncle Bob and I are down in Klamath Falls, where they are having the worst snow storm in the past 16 years. I Love it! :-) Bob subbed at a pharmacy in K-Mart yesterday, and today he is at a Fred Meyer. We go home tomorrow if we can get out of town. The roads and mountain passes have been unusually snowy and stormy. While Bob's at work, I laze around, go out to eat, and shop! Now that's my idea of retirement! :-) I would sub, but bob tells me that he can make in one hour what I would make all day subbing in a school. So, it's Jags (the dog) and I playing in the snow! Love, Aunt Judi :-)